Saturday, February 26, 2011

I came across this story in a daily devotion for small kids.

Debbie and her daddy had a special daily habit. She would sit on his knee when he came home from work, and he would say, " Debbie, do you love me?" Debbie would say, "I love you, Daddy." Then she would reach into his coat pocket and find a little gift. It might be a quarter, or a piece of gum, or candy-just a little treat.

One day, Debbie's daddy said, as usual, " Debbie, do you love me?"

As usual, Debbie answered, "I love you, Daddy." Reaching into his pocket she found a little ring he had bought from a discount store. " Oh, Daddy," exclaimed Debbie, " it' s just so beautiful! I'm going to wear it and never take it off." And after that, Debbie wore that ring everywhere. She wore it even though it made a green mark on her finger.

When Debbie's daddy realized just how much the ring meant to his little girl, he decided to buy her a real gold one. And that afternoon, as always, Debbie sat on her daddy's knee. "Debbie, do you love me?" he asked.

"I love you, Daddy," answered Debbie.

"Then give me your ring," her father said with a twinkle in his eye.

But Daddy didn't notice the twinkle. "Oh Daddy, I do love you but please let me keep my ring," she pleaded. Daddy still out held his hand. As Debbie gave him the ring, she was trying not to cry.

"Now reach into my pocket," said Daddy with a smile.

Debbie could hardly believe her eyes when she pulled out the shiny gold ring. "Oh Daddy," she exclaimed. "It's so much prettier than the other one, If I had only known, I'd have given you that one right away.'

Will you let go and let God?

No comments: